A general election will take place on 25 February 2016. You should avoid large crowds and demonstrations. Take out comprehensive international private medical and travel health insurance before you travel to Jamaica. Around 177,000 British nationals visited Jamaica in 2014.
Cases of Zika virus have been reported in 2016. Follow the advice of the National Travel Health Network and Centre. If you’re pregnant or planning to become pregnant, the CDC currently advise postponing travel to zika virus transmission areas. The WHO have recently declared zika a global health emergency.
Chikungunya Virus in Jamaica
Cases of Chikungunya virus have been confirmed in Jamaica. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.
Current Travel Alert: General Elections
On 31 January 2016, the Prime Minister announced the country would hold a general election on 25 February. Political parties will be campaigning during this period with rallies taking place across the island. You should be vigilant and avoid large crowds and demonstrations. Road closures may occur at short notice; plan any journeys in advance and monitor local media for updates.
Weather Risks: Hurricane Season
The hurricane season in Jamaica normally runs from June to November.
There are high levels of crime and violence particularly in the capital Kingston.
Take out comprehensive international private medical and travel healthcare insurance before travelling to Jamaica, to cover the costs of any medical treatments abroad or emergency repatriation and evacuation services needed. Be sure to read the small print of all insurance policies before you purchase. Repatriation and evacuation coverage is essential for travel to Jamaica. This is due to the fact that medical facilities may not be up to the standard of care you are used to. Access may be complicated. In the case of a medical emergency you may require a medical evacuation to another hospital in another country.
- Colombia: Explosions Reported In Bogota
- Cuba: Health Screening At Entry Ports
- Cuba: Mandatory International Medical and Travel Insurance For Cuba Entry
- Ghana: General Travel Advice 20 March 2016
- Turkey: Explosions Rock Istiklal Street Istanbul
- Jelf International Urges Employers To Communicate Advice For Those Planning Travel To Zika-Affected Areas
- Falkland Islands: British Nationals Visiting Falkland Islands No Longer Entitled To Receive Dental Care Under UK NHS
- Malaysia: Current Travel Advice
- Essential Tips For A Safe Secure Chinese New Year
- Bahrain: Protests 4 - 6 Feb 2016
- Turkey: FCO Advise Against All Travel To City Of Diyarbakir
- Bolivia: Travel Disruptions Due To Blockades
- France: Current Travel News, Warnings, Advice And Alerts For Global Travellers And Expatriates
- Burkina Faso: UK FCO Advise Against All Travel To The Following Parts Of Burkina Faso
- China: Over 570,000 British Nationals Visit Mainland China Every Year
- Kenya: Current Travel Advice
- Turkey: Current Travel Advice
- Taiwan: 16 New Deaths Caused By Dengue Fever
- China: Infectious Diseases Kill 1,639 In China November 2015
- Zika Virus Infection in French Guiana