Colombia: Explosions Reported In Bogota
- Written by Travel Warning Network
- font size decrease font size increase font size
- Published in Colombia News
Around 9pm on 20 April 2016, 2 explosions were reported in Bogota, the first on Calle 109 with Carrera 45 (in the north of the city) and the second on Avenida Ciudad de Cali with Calle 26 (near Bogota El Dorado Airport). You should be especially vigilant and follow the advice of local authorities.
The security situation can change very quickly in many areas of the country. You should pay close attention to warnings issued by the Colombian authorities. In general, the more remote the area, the greater the potential threat to your safety. You should be particularly cautious and vigilant during any major events and in crowded places.
International Private Medical Insurance For Travel To Colombia
Take out comprehensive international private medical insurance and travel insurance before you travel to Colombia.
Healthcare In Colombia
Medical facilities in Colombia vary widely in quality. In large cities and state capitals, private clinics provide good quality care for routine treatments and complex treatment. Make sure you have adequate medical and travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Public health facilities and those in smaller cities are generally ill equipped and poorly funded. Ambulance services in remote areas are unreliable and public hospitals often lack adequate medical supplies.
You can find most medication in pharmacies in large cities, but medicine for complex treatment may be unavailable in rural areas and small towns. You may need a prescription from a local doctor to get some controlled medicine.
If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, you should dial 123 to ask for assistance. Contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.
Cases of locally transmitted Zika virus have been confirmed in the last 2 months. Discuss your travel plans with your healthcare provider, particularly if you’re pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
Dengue fever, malaria and yellow fever are present throughout the country, although the coastal and southern states with lower altitudes are the most affected, especially during or shortly after the rainy season between April and November.
Tap water is safe to drink only in Bogota, Medellin and Cali. You should drink only bottled water and avoid ice in drinks.
Cases of Chikunyunga virus have been confirmed in Colombia. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. For more details about this outbreak, see the website of the National Health Network and Centre.
- Cuba: Health Screening At Entry Ports
- Cuba: Mandatory International Medical and Travel Insurance For Cuba Entry
- Ghana: General Travel Advice 20 March 2016
- Turkey: Explosions Rock Istiklal Street Istanbul
- Jelf International Urges Employers To Communicate Advice For Those Planning Travel To Zika-Affected Areas
- Falkland Islands: British Nationals Visiting Falkland Islands No Longer Entitled To Receive Dental Care Under UK NHS
- Jamaica: General Election 25 February 2016
- Essential Tips For A Safe Secure Chinese New Year
- Bahrain: Protests 4 - 6 Feb 2016
- Bolivia: Travel Disruptions Due To Blockades
- Burkina Faso: UK FCO Advise Against All Travel To The Following Parts Of Burkina Faso
- China: Over 570,000 British Nationals Visit Mainland China Every Year
- Kenya: Current Travel Advice
- Taiwan: 16 New Deaths Caused By Dengue Fever
- China: Infectious Diseases Kill 1,639 In China November 2015
- Zika Virus Infection in French Guiana
- Burkina Faso: "At Least 20 Dead" In Ouagadougou Hotel Attack
- China: Guangdong Reports 5 Avian Flu Human Cases
- Indonesia: Explosions And Gunfire Rock Central Jakarta
- Brazil: Cases Of Zika Virus Reported
Latest from Travel Warning Network
- Qatar Airspace Ban Begins As Gulf Crisis Grows
- Travel Advice Qatar
- Preparedness Key To Mitigating Malaria Risk
- USA: LGBT Travellers May Be Affected By Legislation Passed Recently In The States Of North Carolina And Mississippi
- Cyprus: Flights Being Diverted Away From Larnaca Airport Due To Ongoing Security Incident